Take the Summer by Storm with this Activity Guide for Fallbrook Assisted Living Residents
The summer months bring fun activities, beaches, beautiful weather, and a trip to that dream holiday destination. For residents in Fallbrook Assisted Living, summer means more outside time, fun weekly outings, and seasonal eats.
From outdoor dining, board games, and arts and crafts, there are fun activities that senior adults can enjoy whether they just observe or participate.
Summer in Fallbrook Assisted Living
Summer is almost here, and seniors can take advantage of this season. The longer days and warmer months can be an opportunity to hit the road for vacation or spend time with your loved ones. Seniors on the other hand can benefit from the longer days and more sunshine that they do not get during other seasons.
Seniors in Fallbrook assisted living can make the most of the summer season by:
Getting enough vitamin D
- Although vitamin D is in foods like fish, egg yolks, red meat, or supplements, direct sunlight can’t be beaten. Vitamin D is essential in regulating calcium in the body supporting strong bones, teeth, and muscles.
- Bone becomes weak as we age, hence, the importance of getting calcium and protein through diet. An optimum level of vitamin D is necessary to help the body absorb calcium.
- Don’t forget to keep track of UV levels when soaking up that vitamin D. Always wear sunscreen and really when going outside.
- The hot weather and natural light are a natural anti-depressant. Senior residents can increase their outdoor activities for fresh air and exercise which can alleviate stress and depression.
- The cold winter months can bring Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) which can lead to depression, fatigue, and low mood. But with the hot days of summer, residents in Fallbrook assisted living can now go out more often, socialize, and just bask in the sun and enjoy the moment.
- Summer is also an opportunity to load up on fruits and vegetables with more vitamins. Seniors need to eat a healthy and balanced diet to support healthy skin, bones, muscles, and overall wellness.
Summer Fun Activities for Seniors
Here are great Fallbrook assisted living activities that you can add to your June calendar.
Ice Cream Parties
Beat the summer heat with ice cream parties throughout the summer season. You can organize a “create your own ice cream” party or just prepare ice cream of different flavors for staff, residents, and family members in the social hall or outdoor.
Host baking events where residents, staff, and family members can participate. Make it a competition event to encourage residents’ creativity and reward winners with trophies or anything that can be used as souvenirs of the memorable event.
Set up tables with vases of colorful flowers. Offer food and ice-cold beverages for everyone to enjoy.
Encourage Fallbrook assisted living residents to wear their best summer outfits. Then, have flower arranging competitions, dancing, singing, and other fun activities.
Looking for excellent senior care in Nebraska? Click here to check out Fallbrook assisted living!
Fallbrook Assisted Living is proud to offer its services to Fremont, NE, and surrounding areas and cities: Arlington, Cedar Bluffs, Ames Nickerson, Fontanelle, Arlington, Leshara, Colon, and Hooper