It’s Summer time! Here Are Some Activities for Residents in Alzheimer’s Care Facilities
Every year, thousands of people from around the world are diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease with most of them being sent to an Alzheimer’s care facility where they are given better care and protection for their medical condition.
But being in a facility does not mean depriving these residents of the chance to enjoy the summer season.
Here are some of the best activities for them to try while in an Alzheimer’s care facility:
- Nothing beats hearing good music to lift spirits and have a great time. Residents in Alzheimer’s facilities can request their favorite tunes and even take turns singing or dancing to them. Music therapy is one of the best ways to help people with Alzheimer’s remember lost memories and preserve new ones.
- According to studies, vitamin D is beneficial in helping to reduce the cognitive symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. And what better way to get some much-needed vitamins in than by allowing residents to enjoy some outdoor gardening?
Letting residents create a small garden will give them the chance to get some vitamin D, and have some fun.
- It is important for residents in an Alzheimer’s care facility to stay fit to not only help them stay strong while dealing with their disease but boost their mood during their stay.
Summer is a great time to exercise outdoors. Zumba, yoga and other fun exercise routines are great ways to help residents get in some exercise.
- No summer would be complete without an amazing outdoor picnic with residents in Alzheimer’s facilities. Since the sun is out, it’s the perfect time to bring the residents outside where they can enjoy nature while having a hearty lunch.
Don’t forget to pack enough snacks and frozen treats to make sure that everyone enjoys a great time, but load up on water so residents can keep themselves hydrated while being exposed to the heat of the sun.
Arts and crafts
- Of course, there is always one of the best activities to do for residents during the summer—arts and crafts. Whether it’s crocheting or painting vases, residents in an Alzheimer’s care facility can get as creative as they want during the summer where they can go outdoors to be inspired by nature.
They can also put together some scrapbooks filled with memories of their younger years, so they can look back on them whenever they want.
Summer is a great time to allow residents in Alzheimer’s facilities to enjoy their time outdoors. This way they don’t feel confined within the walls of their bedrooms. This will allow them to make new memories and live the best quality of life during their late adulthood years.
Looking for a trustworthy memory care facility in Lincoln, NE? Click here to visit our contact page and set up a tour today!
Fallbrook Assisted Living is proud to offer its services to Fremont, NE, and surrounding areas and cities: Arlington, Cedar Bluffs, Ames Nickerson, Fontanelle, Arlington, Leshara, Colon, and Hooper